Track & Field

Trei Thorogood, Jaheem Hayles finish in top 10 at Penn Relays

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Trei Thorogood and Jaheem Hayles (pictured) each earned top-10 finishes at the Penn Relays in Syracuse track and field’s final regular-season competition.

Syracuse track and field competed this past weekend at the Penn Relays, hosted by the University of Pennsylvania. Wrapping up SU’s regular season, Trei Thorogood and Jaheem Hayles made the finals Saturday.

To begin the event Thursday, senior Shaleah Colaire placed 15th in the women’s 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:00.12. Colaire was five seconds behind Michigan’s Savannah Sutherland, who finished first.

In the men’s 400-meter hurdles, freshman Elijah Mallard placed 10th with a time of 52.42 and Xayvion Perkins placed 30th at 54.57. The winning time was 50.84 seconds by Pitt’s Devin Nugen.

On Friday, Colaire went back to work, placing 12th in the women’s 100-meter hurdles (13.75). Freshman Taleea Buxton wasn’t far behind, placing 27th with a time of 14.34 seconds. In the women’s 100-meter dash, redshirt sophomore Kitana Burgard placed 16th with a time of 11.90. Junior Kahniya James placed 30th in the event as both competitors failed to advance to the championships.

In the women’s 4×100 relays, Syracuse placed 11th with a time of 45.70 seconds with a team made up of Buxton, James, Colaire and Burgard.

On the men’s side, in the 110-meter hurdle heats, Hayles placed third with a time of 13.65 seconds, earning him a spot in Saturday’s championship. Fellow redshirt senior Naseem Smith placed 14th with a time of 14.07 seconds. Senior Anthony Vazquez placed 22nd and sophomore Emanuel Joseph placed 27th with times of 14.46 and 14.62, respectively. In the heats for the 100-meter dash, Thorogood placed seventh with a time of 10.47 seconds, sealing his spot for Saturday’s championship.

In the men’s 110 hurdles championship Saturday, Hayles placed seventh with a time of 14.06. The winning time was 13.38 seconds secured by Houston’s De’Vion Wilson. Thorogood fared better in his event, finishing in fourth after starting in the seventh slot. Thorogood’s time of 10.49 seconds was 0.28 seconds behind Houston’s Louie Hinchliffe, who placed first.

SU next competes in Atlanta, Georgia for the Atlantic Coast Conference outdoor championships from May 9-11.