Environment

Syracuse Grows helps environment while giving back

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

It is important for students at Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF alike to recognize their impact on the environment locally. Syracuse Grows is a local grassroots organization that is working hard to fight food injustice by supporting urban food production. The organization strives to create optimal conditions for the city’s residents to live in a place with food justice for all.

Having easy and quick access to clean and locally grown food is important for a lot of families, which is one reason Syracuse Grows is such a crucial organization. By growing healthy, safe, affordable and accessible produce in these local gardens, the goal is to help community development and resilience and promote self-sustainability for all members.

Syracuse Grows has 22 gardens throughout Onondaga County, two of which are The Westcott garden and Midland Avenue garden, both located near SU.

These two gardens in particular are great places for students to get involved with urban agriculture. There are many challenges that these gardens face, such as paying property taxes on the land, finding year-round and permanent volunteers, avoiding theft and buying supplies.

According to Aggie Lane, the Midland Avenue garden coordinator, the main problem is due a lack of physical labor.

“Our biggest challenge is age,” she said. “The two principals at the garden are myself at 75, and my friend who is 78 years old. We cannot do some of the hard work that comes with gardening. We are constantly looking for volunteers.”

Lane also added that it is often very hard to find individuals, such as students, who are in the Syracuse area during the growing season.

Evan Weissman, an associate professor of nutrition at SU and the Westcott Community garden coordinator, helped found the plot in 2008, but agreed with Lane on the volunteer struggles.

“Finding young volunteers is tricky,” he said. “Even though we get students to help, finding students who are in the Syracuse area during growing season is often difficult.”

Weissman also mentioned that he has two young kids at home, and dedicating time to the garden can be difficult, but rewarding.

Working with Syracuse Grows is the perfect opportunity for students to become involved in the local food justice movement and be a part of something that is helping bring stability and growth to the communities within the city of Syracuse.

Becoming involved with Syracuse Grows and becoming a part of their community will also help the community of Syracuse. By volunteering to help grow various fruits and vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, greens, garlic, collard, rhubarb and raspberries, students can cultivate their inner eco-friendliness and support the community of Syracuse at the same time.

Samantha Kolb is a junior environmental studies major at SUNY-ESF. Her column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at sakolb@syr.edu. She can be followed on Twitter at @KolbSamii