Screen Time Column

How ‘real’ is reality TV?

Audra Linsner | Asst. Illustration Editor

While reality TV has been around since the 1980s, the genre didn’t become mainstream until the late 90s and early 2000s, thanks to shows like “Survivor” and “American Idol.”

Now, with the cultural expansion of the genre through programs like “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” and “The Bachelor,” the genre is hitting record ratings. The season 22 finale of “The Bachelor” averaged a 2.2 rating in adults 18-49 and 7.8 million viewers, the shows best numbers this season.

While there isn’t one reason why reality television is so popular, the rise of engagement on social media is definitely part of the equation. Between network-generated hashtags and media movements, the stars we’ve learned to love and hate are everywhere.

Two frequently repeated “truths” about reality TV viewership is that people watch in order to be a part of the larger group of other viewers, and that they aren’t as intelligent as non-viewers. A study conducted by Psychology Today found this to be incorrect, and after more research was done, they were able to find a more solid reason behind the explosion in popularity.

Reality TV has instilled within its viewers a “competitive nature,” similar to sports. Contestants on the show compete for one grand cash prize, and they have to make alliances and betrayals throughout their journeys.

The average reality TV fan, according to Psychology Today, is more likely to be competitive and place a higher value on revenge than other people. “Survivor’s” formula seems to perfectly embody these characteristics: the spirit of competition, along with the opportunity for feedback.

Fans of reality TV are also much more likely to hold the desire for higher statuses than viewers of other genres. Ordinary people watch these shows and then automatically imagine themselves in the shoes of the other “ordinary” people on their screen, who are becoming celebrities virtually overnight.

The message of reality TV is that any person can become so important that millions of Americans will watch them, and viewers of these show experience the thrilling idea that perhaps next time, it could be them who achieves this level of success.

“The Bachelor” is the reality television show of today, and after 16 years and 35 combined seasons — including “The Bachelorette”— millions of Americans are still riveted by the series. The three programs have produced more Instagram stars than successful marriages, which highlights the overall goal of the show: for the contestants to reach stardom first, while their “happily ever after” moment is a second hope, at best.

Critics have said these “reality” shows aren’t all that based in reality. “The Bachelor” has expanded to include multiple spin-offs, such as “Bachelor in Paradise,” which has become controversial in the tabloids because of its lack of diversity among contestants and depiction of women.

With 90 percent of the contestants being blonde and an average age of 30 years old, the show constantly receives backlash from viewers and news outlets. According to TIME Magazine, the contestants are also extremely exploited by the producers in the effort to produce good television, and in October, a former producer filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against the show, which the show has since denied.

Despite these allegations, the show continues to move forward and viewership hasn’t been affected in the slightest. Who is to say if watching the show is anti-feminist? The women are all looking for love — a goal that many human beings strive for.

If I had to bet, I’d say the show is more scripted than real, handpicking the more controversial characters as their winners. But these shows will never admit to it, so it’s up to the viewers to ask themselves: How “real” is reality TV — and the reality we strive for after watching it?

Nick Friedland is a television, radio and film major. His column appears biweekly in Pulp. You can email him at nsfriedl@syr.edu.