Syracuse swept by Denver in ITA Kickoff consolation round

Courtesy of the ACC

Syracuse failed to win even a single relevant set on Sunday afternoon.

Syracuse (1-3) was swept by the University of Denver (1-1), 4-0, in the consolation round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kickoff Weekend, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Sunday.

The Orange failed to win any individual matches as DU rolled to victory. SU lost the doubles point as the nation’s 13th-ranked pairing from Denver, Julia O’Loughlin and Maureen Slattery, defeated SU’s Gabriela Knutson and Libi Mesh, 6-3 in the first game. DU’s Bianca Mok and Morgan Barnhill beat SU’s Maria Tritou and Nicole Mitchell, 6-4 in the second doubles’ match to secure the point.

In the three singles matches that were completed, DU did not drop a set. Denver’s Sonja Radosevic beat Mesh, 6-1, 6-2. Tritou dropped her singles match to the Pioneers’ Slattery, 6-2, 6-2. The third and clinching singles win for DU came from Arisha Ladhani, who defeated Mitchell by the scores of 7-5, 6-2.

Syracuse’s only set win on the day came in the first set of the first singles match, on the back of a 6-4 win by Knutson over O’Loughlin. That match was abandoned in the middle of the third set, once Denver had clinched.

The Orange travel next Saturday to take on the University of Virginia (1-2), who received votes in the most recent NCAA poll.